In today’s post I want to share with you a new breakfast I am trying this week! It comes from Alicia Silverstone’s “The kind diet”. Even though I had this book for years and read it cover to cover, I have only tried 2 recipes… the desserts! I have always wanted to try other recipes, but it either looked weird or I didn’t have some of the ingredients. It is a very healthy way of eating, especially if you go into the Superhero section and I guess I was not ready for it. This week I felt ready! I tried the superhero breakfast. She calls this recipe “Alicia’s soft rice porridge”. At first, the idea of having rice for breakfast did not really appeal to me, but it ended up being AMAZING!!!
In order to do this, you have to make sure you have cooked brown rice in the fridge the night before. If not, your breakfast preparation might be a bit longer than usual!
1. Take 1 cup of the cooked rice per person.
2. Put it in a saucepan and add 2/3 cup water. (OK she puts 1 cup rice for 2 cups water, but when I did that the water never left and I ended up having to use a strainer to get rid of it)
3. Cut 4 dried apricots and add it to the rice/water mixture.
4. Bring to a boil, and then lower heat and allow to simmer covered for 15-20 minutes. (I add some maple syrup for extra sweetness!)
5. Once the mixture is ready, remove excess water and put into bowl
6. Add cut up dates (she calls for umeboshi plums, but I did not have that) and toasted sunflower seeds!
Voila! Superhero breakfast is ready to eat!
Quite frankly, I do not eat 1 cup only 2/3, but I also drink a smoothie. My husband eats the whole portion! It is very filling and I usually have a snack around 9:30 am, but there is no need with this breakfast!
The mix of extra soft rice and crunchy sunflowers seeds with the sweetness of apricots and dates is amazing! Just perfect!
Try it! You’ll see!
Also, I would strongly suggest that you go to www.thissavvylife.blogspot.com to read today’s post. It is for everyone, but especially vegans! I am asking you for help in a subject that is really dear to me! Please check it out! Title is: On being vegan or not… but absolutely being nice about it!
Thanks for reading and sharing!
If you are reading this on any other blog than Vegan Restaurant Finder or via my RSS Feed, it is stolen content without credit.
You can find me on Twitter via @VeganRebecca
Come and visit our blog at http://veganrestaurantfinder.com/category/blog/
You must be logged in to post a comment.